Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fruit Syrup Recipe

Saturday mornings I try to make a hearty breakfast if I can for Anthony and I. Usually it consists of any combination of pancakes, eggs, toast, and bacon. This morning we were running low on supplies, so I was just making pancakes. However, I realized I didn't have any more maple syrup. (I know I need to go grocery shopping.)

I decided to make some blueberry syrup from scratch. I had a bowl of frozen blueberries in the frig that I had thawed and thought, whatthehey, I could figure it out.

Here's the recipe:

Blueberry Syrup
1 cup blueberries (or any seasonal fruit will do)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water

Put the fruit into the food processor and blend it up for a solid minute. You'll want the end product to be as close to juice as possible.

After this, run the fruit juice through a strainer to separate all the pulp. (Note: for fruit without skin, i.e.-strawberries) you can skip this step.

Transfer juice into a saucepan and combine sugar well into the mixture. (Note: Do not turn on heat until after sugar and juice are combined well.)

Turn to medium heat and boil juice for 15-20 minutes. You'll want to see small bubbles coming up from the center of the juice and mix frequently to avoid burning.

After 15-20 minutes the juice should be thicker, but still not a syrup consistency. Turn heat off and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Syrup will thicken into a nice viscosity for pouring over pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. YUUUUUUUUMY! This sounds super tasty. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete